B.C. Society # S-49873 01 November 2005
- Create & maintain a meditation retreat centre, “Sherab Chamma Ling”;
- Preserve Bön, the native religion of Tibet & its culture;
- Spread Bön teachings by cultivating practitioners & scholars in the west; &
- Support & sustain a Spiritual Director & visiting teachers.
- To purchase land and/or buildings to create a Tibetan Yungdrung Bön international teaching & retreat centre known as: Sherab Chamma Ling, Tibetan Bön Buddhist Centre.
- To raise funds whether by way of fund-raising activities, receipt of gifts, donations, legacies & grants or otherwise to hold, invest, & use them for the promotion of the objects of the Society.
- To acquire lands & buildings by purchase or otherwise, for the purpose of establishing a worship centre, teaching & meeting place, & retreat centre.
In November 2005, two years after Lama Geshe YongDong created Sherab Chamma Ling, the Tibetan Bön Buddhist Society was formed. Under the direction of Geshe YongDong, the Society is administered to by an elected executive, now consisting of: President: Larry Moss, Vice President: Gordon Ross, Treasurer: Colleen Embree-Jay, & Secretary: Norma Chambers. Executive terms are for a two year period. Business meetings are held in May, September and January with the Annual General Meeting (AGM) held annually in February or March. Members are encouraged to attend or communicate via email with their questions, concerns and comments, and make their voice heard in the operations of our Centre.
The Centre has been operating since 2003 in local rented facilities. Numerous members offer their volunteer support for our Library (Kathleen), general housekeeping (Ruth, Natasha, Sandy and the enthusiastic others on the team), our Umdze or Chanting Leaders (Esther,Natasha, Sandy, Allan, Shirley, and others) our Zoom teaching technical people, Robert, Gordon and Esther, our Public relations committee Allan and Shirley; Damaris for your support for social sharing during our Retreats . . and to too many others to mention, we are grateful for all you all do!
Regular drop in meditation practices and teachings attract an average of 25-30 students and the two annual teaching weekend retreats have successfully filled up with 45-50 students. Our online ‘Zoom’ teachings have attracted many students from around the globe.
In addition to teaching at the Centre in Courtenay B.C., Geshe YongDong regularly travels to teach in other areas on Vancouver Island, and in Alberta, California, Texas and in the Ligmincha centre in Virginia U.S. Geshe YongDong continues regular teachings in Costa Rica, Colombia, and Asian countries of Vietnam, Cambodia and Lao PDR. Our online ‘Zoom’ teachings allow our Lama to continue his teachings to us via the ‘Zoom’ App. Check it out!
The Centre and Society are dedicated to raising and/or securing funds to purchase land and buildings to create a Tibetan Yungdrung Bön International Teaching and Retreat Centre on beautiful Vancouver Island.
Funds are being actively pursued by way of fund-raising activities, receipt of gifts, donations of any amount, legacies and grants.
If you would like to help in creating an International Teaching and Retreat Centre on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada, please consider making a contribution. We are a registered non profit, tax-exempt charity.